- May 16: Pope John XVII succeeds Pope Sylvester II as the 140th pope.
- December 25: Pope John XVIII succeeds Pope John XVII as the 141st pope.
- Sweyn I of Denmark begins his first invasion of England.
- Humbert I becomes the first Count of Savoy.
- King Robert II of France invades Burgundy, but fails.
- Boleslaus I of Poland becomes duke of Bohemia and Moravia.
- Stephen I of Hungary invades Transylvania and organises the Diocese of Transylvania.
- May 12: Pope Sylvester II
- November 6: Pope John XVII
- Philotheos of Alexandria, Coptic Patriarch
- Erik the Red