- George Tsul, ruler of Khazaria, is captured by a combined Byzantine-Rus' force, which effectively ends Khazaria's existence.
- Norman knights arrive in Sicily.
- Edmund II becomes king of England after Ethelred's death.
- Battle of Brentford: Edmund II gains a temporary victory over Canute the Great.
- Canute of Denmark and Edmund II II divide England.
- October 18: Battle of Ashingdon: The Danes under Canute the Great defeat the English under Edmund Ironside.
- November 30: After Edmund's death, Canute is left as the sole ruler of England.
- Battle of Nesjar (Norway): Olaf Haraldsson is victorious over Sveinn Hakonarson.