I'd just like to let you know that a parallel effort to create an online Ars Magica wiki is underway at http://hermesweb.ekkaia.org. Ours has different content, and somewhat different policies. One of the big concerns over at HermesWeb is to support the community without infringing on any of Atlas Games' copyrights.
I am wondering if we can find ways to cooperate and combine our efforts. It seems like a duplication of effort to have two different Wikis starting up at the same time. I'd like to open a discussion about how we can help each other, or at least coexist in a friendly way, instead of competing for mind share and contributors' time. It would have been easier to have that discussion if both our projects were not so far along before we learned of each other's existence!
Probably it is inevitable that both Wikis will exist and grow for a long time. Maybe we should try to find ways to help them grow together, for example by encouraging authors to cross-post articles.
Incidentally, I'd like to list your site on [Project: Redcap] if that's all right with you.
AndrewG 00:02, 23 August 2008 (UTC)
- We (Cereth and I, the admins here) will talk about it backstage, of course, but off the top of my head we would very much welcome any discussion with folks involved in your project. I'm sure that both groups will feel like their project is worthwhile, but I for one would like to get into a detailed discussion about the focus of each, not only to minimize ovelap, but to help us in clarifying our vision of what this site is supposed to be. Praetorius 02:50, 25 August 2008 (UTC)
- Oh, and yes, we would love to be listed on Project Redcap. :) Praetorius 02:53, 25 August 2008 (UTC)
You're listed on Redcap. Sorry for the delay in replying.
We over at HermesWeb have had a conversation on the focus of our site and I do think it's possible to draw a distinction between the two respective projects. I would say HermesWeb's current, primary mission is to be a reference -- to absorb Redcap's mission of maintaining links to resources all over the Internet, and also to try to be a knowledge base and reference about the rules, setting, and history of the game. We're interested in fan content as well but at this time your site seems to have more fan-created content than ours does, and your policies are more friendly to fan-created content (you don't require moderator approval to create new accounts).
So I see Mythic Europe evolving into something more like the old (and still good!) Durenmar, and HermesWeb remaining more similar to Project: Redcap. Though each will have elements of the other; there's no need to be overly strict in pursuing our missions.
Would you agree with that? AndrewG 21:14, 24 September 2008 (UTC)
- Yes, speaking for Cereth and myself, we agree with that. It is totally in-line with our intentions - which is probably more obvious now that we've started to post campaign stuff here. Praetorius 15:30, 26 September 2008 (UTC)
- Where can I find the saga which previously occupied http://arsmagica.wikia.com/ ?
Ah, don't worry... I found it at http://monsobscurus.wikia.com/wiki/Ars_Magica Feel free to add it to Sagas if you like. It used to have an illuminated manuscript skin, but it seems that the switch to 1.10 has disabled it entirely. Anyway, feel free to use any content from it for your sagas or this wiki. It is going to waste otherwise.
How do you like the random quote generator I made up for the main page? I grabbed the code from another wiki and it needs some tweaking yet, but it is working. It took me hours to get it to work yesterday.
We just need to add some more Latin quotes to the main template now. :) Cereth 14:46, 15 February 2009 (UTC)
- This is extremely cool - but your should italicize the latin quote and leave the translation as plain text. Praetorius 16:51, 16 February 2009 (UTC)
- Ok, changed the "italicized" part around...my next goal is to figured out a way to have a randomized featured article. I'd probably have like 5 or so random articles for it to choose from. I think i can use the same method I used for the quote, just modified a little. Cereth 18:56, 16 February 2009 (UTC)
- I definitely like the feature, especially the way you worked House mottos among real life quotes, but I had a question about the Manilius quote that I posted in the Grand Tribunal folder of the forum. IMHO 02:47, October 13, 2009 (UTC)
Unless I'm missing something, this wiki could really do with some sort of navigation from the main page. I can see the intro, a featured article and nothing else really. I can only start to navigate if I hit the Random Article link and work my around from there.
If the navigation is there and I am missing it, then it should probably be better. 22.214.171.124 10:30, February 13, 2013 (UTC)